Sunday, October 10, 2010

ATPS: Chapters 9 & Conclusion

Learning how to watch films is a very interesting concept that is still pertinent to this day, however, I feel that what we have to learn has changed. Fuller talks about how youth had to, "...viewers had to learn to learn to distance themselves from the on-screen story and to anticipate that Hollywood-style happy ending..." (p.177). She was talking about youth growing up with films and goes on to follow the University of Chicago sociology study of students and their experiences. I thought it was pretty neat to see read some first hand documentations of film experiences. When one kid talks about being bored in silent films, I was really happy to hear it. I always wondered if some people were bored because of the silent film. It's interesting to compare to films now, because I bet the same thing happens with youth watching adult dramas or mysteries. For example, my parents used to put law and order on television when they wanted me to fall asleep because I was bored by the complex adult themes as a little kid. However, as I grew older, like these kids, I learned how to watch television in this case and become entertained by such media.

What struck me as funny was the fact that University of Chicago students were note, or most likely, were not able to tell the complete truth about film's role in their lives as collegiate students. As most of the experiences after 'learning how to watch films' became the same as they are now with kids, I bet that College students acted like college students and adults now. Watching film becomes a pure mood of entertainment, escapism, education. People will go to the films not to necessarily look up to stars but to be entertained by the plot/themes or action sequences. Some may go for educational purposes or to relax and take a break from the real world. However, as young adults and adults the college student has learned to watch films and but up the detachable barrier, thus allowing them to react, how they see appropriate, to any given film.

No comments:

Post a Comment